Facts: Nations with Nuclear Weapons
The following nations possess nuclear weapons, have carried out tests and have missiles to deliver nuclear warheads.
- United States (pop. about 268 million), 1,030 tests since 1944. Now has 12,070 nuclear warheads. Missiles with range of 8,100 miles can reach anywhere in the world.
- Britain (pop. about 59.1 million), 45 tests since 1952. Has 380 warheads. Missiles have range of 7,500 miles.
- France (pop. about 58.8 million), 21 tests since 1961, most recent tests 1995, 1996. Now has 500 warheads. Missile range 3,300 miles.
- Russia (pop. about 146.9 million), 715 tests since 1945. Has 22,500 warheads. Missile range 6,800 miles.
- China (pop. about 1 billion, 300 million), 45 tests since 1964. Has 450 warheads. Missile range 6,800 miles. Has nuclear armed missiles directed at Indian cities in Tibet and Himalayan border.
- Israel (pop about 6 million), no tests, but has more than a hundred warheads. Missile range 930 miles.
- India (pop. about 988.7 million), six tests since 1974. Has about 65 warheads. Missiles named Prithvi has range of 1,550 miles. Presently developing Agni missile similar to Pakistan Gauri missile.
- Pakistan, (pop about 141.9 million), began nuclear program in 1972. Now has about 15-25 warheads. Missile range 930 miles. Has received technology and missiles from China.
More Facts and Stats
- Percentage of national spending on defense: Pakistan 25%, India 14%
- Size of armed forces: Pakistan 600,000; India 1.2 million, China over 2 million.
Size of Indian and Pakistani nuclear tests:
- India, May 11th - 25-30 kilotons of TNT. Magnitude of 5.3 on seismometer
- Pakistan, May 28 - 8-15 kilotons of TNT, Magnitude of 4.8 on seismometer